[kepler-dev] Source tree migration

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Nov 14 18:32:51 PST 2008

Hi,

The build team has been working on some major changes to the src tree
structure in Kepler.  We have the system working well now and we'd like
to propose that we migrate the Kepler source repositories to the new
system for everyone to use.  The main gist of this is that we're moving
Kepler to a more modular format where the source files are divided on
functional lines.  This will allow additional functionality to be added
to Kepler without having to alter the kernel or core code base.

David Welker and I would like to do several key changes on Wednesday
11/19.  The first thing we will be doing is to remove the
kepler/trunk/src directory.  All of the files in that directory are now
in /kepler/trunk/modules under the core or util module.  They will be
moved into finer-grained modules after this transition is complete.
Right now, the files in core represent the key features that Kepler
requires to run headless.  Everything else is in the util module.

The next thing we need to do is alter the src and resource structure in
the kepler/modules/** directories.  These modules currently use the
Maven standard of putting the source files in main/java.  This has
proven to be tedious and of little use, so we are going to move these
files to the root of src/ (e.g.
kepler/modules/ppod/trunk/src/main/java/** will be moved to
kepler/modules/ppod/trunk/src).  src/main/resources will be moved to a
module root resources directory.

While we intend to get this done in one day to minimize the impact on
your development, there are no guarantees when moving this many source
files around.  It is likely that something will break when we do this so
it may take a few days of sorting out after this happens.  We will be
tagging the repository in its current form before we start this process
to make sure we can go back in case of emergency.   This may be painful
for a couple days, but we believe that it will be worth it in the end.
To make this even smoother, we ask that you please check all of your
code into the repository on Tuesday afternoon and plan not to use the
repository again until Thursday, or until we send out another email
saying it's ok to do so.

I should also note that it is planned in the not-to-distant-future that
the location of the core modules and the extension modules will be
merged when the directory structure for modules is agreed upon.  For
now, they will remain separate.

If you have any questions, complaints, reasons we should not do this on
Wednesday, etc, please reply to this message.

thanks,
chad