[kepler-dev] SVN or GIT

Tristan King tristan.king at jcu.edu.au
Sun May 25 20:56:39 PDT 2008

from this article (http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2007/8/7/254358) it
seems that it's caused by cygwin's text mount option (i don't use cygwin so
no idea what that means or how to fix it)

I think a better option for windows people is:
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

It is windows native git tools, and also includes a windows version of the
git gui. I just tested it with the egit repo and it worked without a hitch.

Here's another thing that might push you more towards git's favour.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-cvsserver.html

It's essentially a cvs server emulator which sits on top of a git
repository. I don't use cvs extensively so i can't coment on whether the
limitations listed would have any effect on us, but It may be worth playing
with.

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Christopher Brooks <cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> Another datapoint:
>
> Git in Cygwin does not work when I try to check out the Eclipse git
> plugin:
>
> bash-3.2$ git clone git://repo.or.cz/egit.git
> Initialized empty Git repository in /cygdrive/c/cxh/src/egit/.git/
> remote: Generating pack...
> remote: Done counting 10994 objects.
> remote: Deltifying 10994 objects.
> remote:
> remote: Total 10994, written 10994 (delta 5810), reused 10993 (delta
> 5809)
> : not a valid SHA1
> fatal: Not a valid object name HEAD
>
> I updated Cygwin yesterday.
> The same command works fine from Solaris.
>
> I question the overall integrity of git.  I could look into this
> further, but if git fails the out of box test for me, then how will
> our users react?  That has to be the crappiest error message I've seen
> recently.  The message is literally: ": not a valid SHA1".  What is
> not a valid SHA1?  The empty string?  Where did it come from?  What do
> I do to fix it.  yecch.
>
> Looking at svn is the next step for me.  Combining svn and git so that
> the user never has to directly use git seems promising though.
>
> We should avoid selecting a version control system that has better
> support for merges at the cost of ease-of-use.
>
> In general, merges are a sign of a poor development practice.  People
> merge because the head is unstable and they start modifying code.  As
> one of the (if not the) primary offender of breaking Kepler because of
> Ptolemy changes, I can probably do better here.  Tools that help with
> merges are missing the point.  The problem is the merge itself, not
> the tool.  Continuous kepler builds help keep me honest, focusing
> on the process instead of the symptom (merges) is key.
>
> _Christopher
>

> David writes:
> --------
>
>    It may be true that merges in Ptolemy are relatively simple. But for
>    Kepler where the work may be more distributed, merging is likely to be
>    an issue more often for reasons not having to do with developer
> laziness.
>
>    In any case, I think we can have the best of both worlds. With git-svn
>    you can use git to do the merge in cases where it is non-trivial.
>    (However, if you don't want to use it, you can just use vanilla SVN.
>    svn-git would be an option, not a requirement. In fact, if someone used
>    svn-git instead of vanilla SVN to merge the code, no one else need even
>    be the wiser... we are not talking about using git for SCM, we are
>    talking about using pure svn, but maybe using git-svn as a merging tool
>    when and if convenient...). That way, we can continue to use eclipse,
>    Netbeans, Intellij or whatever to interact with the SCM, but merging
>    entire branches when necessary is a little less painful. Think of it as
>    a utopia where people who are lazy and people who are diligent both get
>    what they want. =)

> [...]

Tristan King
Research Officer,
eResearch Centre
James Cook University, Townsville Qld 4811
Australia

Phone: +61747816902
E-mail: tristan.king at jcu.edu.au www: http://eresearch.jcu.edu.au