[kepler-dev] draft conversion of ptII tree from svn to cvs and svn nits

Tristan King tristan.king at jcu.edu.au
Wed Jun 18 20:02:22 PDT 2008

Just thought I'd give a quick review of my git experience with git-svn and
the ptolemy svn (read: i'm not trying to say we should move everything to
git, just posting my experience for those who're interested).
git svn clone takes a long time to run. this is because it downloaded every
revision to the local disk. I started it at about 3pm, and by 6 it had done
just over 10000 revisions. So by that i assume it took about 12 hours to
complete the git equivalent of a checkout.

This checkout, which isn't compressed, takes up 668mb.

Pushing the repository to jcu's central git repository (the equivalent of a
svn/cvs server) which stores everything differently from working copies took
up 275mb (compressed with tar.gz to 268mb).

cloning the central git repository from the central server took a bit more
time than an svn checkout, but not by much. The resulting working copy
(which is compressed) is 453mb . my svn checkout is 479mb. This surprised
me, as I thought git would be much larger due to it having every revision
available from the local machine, however, I suspect that over time it may
explode to be closer to the uncompressed git-svn clone size.

One issue tho is I don't think git has anything like svn:properties built in
(except svn:ignore). modifying the $Id: etc$ type variables in source files
could probably be achieved with post-commit hooks, but I've not played with
them yet, so i've no idea how hard they would be to set up.

I've removed the git mirror of ptII from jcu's central git repository for
now, but if anyone is interested in having a look at how it looks in the web
ui or even cloning it out send me a bell. I don't want to leave it up there
unless Christopher/Edward are OK with that, and even so it definitely
wouldn't be kept up to date, i've just done this for curiosity's sake.

Cheers
-Tristan

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Christopher Brooks <cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> I have some notes about svn at
> http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemy/wiki/Ptolemy/Subversion
>
> The gist of this is reported below:
>
> I did a first cut of a conversion from cvs to svn for the ptII tree.
>
> To try it from the command line:
>  svn co svn+ssh://source.eecs.berkeley.edu/home/svn_chess/ptII/trunk
>  mv trunk ptII
>  cd ptII
>  ./configure
>
> Note that this is just a test copy, this is not a live copy, I'll be
> deleting the svn tree and creating it again from cvs when I'm ready to
> move over.  So, _don't_check_in_changes_ to the ptII svn repository
> and expect to see them last.
>
> I'll be working on the Eclipse setup and on a real set of instructions.
>
> I found a few interesting nits about svn:
>
>    * Is svn that much better than cvs? http://subversion.tigris.org
>      says "Subversion is meant to be a better CVS, so it has most of
>      CVS's features". Typical arguments used for svn over cvs:
>          o Merging in svn is better than in cvs. How many people
>            actually use branches?
>          o It is easier to move files in svn than in cvs. This has
>            some merit, but is it worth the effort?
>    * Building the client requires way too many other packages. How
>      can svn possibly stay secure if it depends on so many packages
>    * Subversion can optionally use Apache for access. Enabling a web
>      server on a machine that does not already have one makes the
>      machine less secure.
>    * There is no decent svn Unix style man page. This is deliberate,
>      see Bug 1508. This is not good. I want to know exactly what
>      commands will work with a specific installation of SVN, not what
>      the latest documentation for the latest version is.
>    * svn is a disk hog.
>          o A gzipped tar file of the Ptolemy II cvs tree is 372.9 MB.
>          o A gzipped tar file of the same tree after running the
>            conversion from cvs to svn is 570MB.
>

> _Christopher

Tristan King
Research Officer,
eResearch Centre
James Cook University, Townsville Qld 4811
Australia

Phone: +61747816902
E-mail: tristan.king at jcu.edu.au www: http://eresearch.jcu.edu.au