[kepler-dev] [Ptolemy] Re: Conversion of Ptolemy II Tree to SVN this week

ian.brown at hsbcib.com ian.brown at hsbcib.com
Mon Jun 16 00:58:28 PDT 2008

Hi Christopher,
        apologies for the delay, I was in Munich over the weekend
(including Friday).

SVN is different to CVS in that it does not automatically perform keyword
substitution. You need to explicity enable this by setting the
svn:keywords property on a file. To see if a file has that property, look
at the properties. You can use svn proplist -v or svn propget to find the
properties on a file.

It's a pain to set this property on each file, so you can also set
'automatic properties'. To do this, you specify some filename expressions
that receive certain properties. For example, you may specify that *.java
gets the keyword property.

Some info on the automatic substitution is here:
http://fixlinux.com/2006/07/24/subversion-and-keyword-substitution/

Relevent section in the svn manual is here:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.props.html

Note it's a bit more complex to set-up than cvs, but in the end more
flexible. In cvs, keyword substitution is a side-effect of the text
setting of a file. In SVN it is a property in its own right and not
releated to the binary / text setting of the file.

Ian

"Christopher Brooks" <cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu>
Sent by: cxh at EECS.Berkeley.EDU
12/06/2008 18:39
Mail Size: 13433

Ian BROWN/IBEU/HSBC at HSBC
cc
Kepler Developers <kepler-dev at ecoinformatics.org>,
ptdevel at chess.eecs.berkeley.edu
Subject
Re: [Ptolemy] Re: [kepler-dev] Conversion of Ptolemy II Tree to SVN this
week
Entity
Investment Banking Europe - IBEU

Hi Ian,
Thanks!

The output is:

cxh at carson 59% svn info makefile
Repository Root: svn+ssh://source.eecs.berkeley.edu/home/svn/chess/ptII
Repository UUID: d85ff972-2d65-4f43-b67d-c93083267852
Revision: 49786
Node Kind: file
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: cxh
Last Changed Rev: 49786
Last Changed Date: 2008-06-12 09:46:25 -0700 (Thu, 12 Jun 2008)
Text Last Updated: 2008-06-12 09:45:44 -0700 (Thu, 12 Jun 2008)
Checksum: a0f0c6c87884a9f2957f959e700309fe

cxh at carson 60%

However, I don't see the cvs status equivalent of

       Sticky Options:               -kb

How do I know that $Id$ will not get substituted?

_Christopher

--------

    Christopher,
            I think svn info is the command you're looking for rather than
svn
    status.

    Sent by: ptolemy-admin at chess.eecs.berkeley.edu
    12/06/2008 18:02
    Mail Size: 12171

    Derik Barseghian <barseghian at nceas.ucsb.edu>
    cc
    ptdevel at chess.eecs.berkeley.edu, Kepler Developers
    <kepler-dev at ecoinformatics.org>, REAP Project
<reap at ecoinformatics.org>
    Subject
    Re: [Ptolemy] Re: [kepler-dev] Conversion of Ptolemy II Tree to SVN
this
    week
    Entity
    Investment Banking Europe - IBEU

    Hi Derik,
    Thanks.  I'll either reconvert the repository or fix this by hand.

    <rant>
    This is further evidence that svn and most things associated with it
    are of poor quality.

    Why would the default value in cvs2svn be --default-eol be binary?  To
    protect the user because they messed up the binary status of their CVS
    repository?  This is another very poor decision.  I get punished
    because my CVS repository was right?  Yep, I should have carefully
    read the fine manual, but I think it is more reasonable to set the
    default of the tool correctly.  I read skimmed the manual and
    carefully cleaned my tree, but then the default setting of cvs2svn
    ignores this work?

    ?

    Also, why is it so hard to find out the status of the file?

    Which is the better tool?

    cxh at carson 45% cd ~/src/ptweb/img
    cxh at carson 42% cvs status PtolemyIIIcon.gif
    File: PtolemyIIIcon.gif          Status: Up-to-date

       Working revision:             1.1
       Repository revision:          1.1
    /home/cvs/ptweb/image/PtolemyIIIcon.gif,v
       Sticky Tag:                           (none)
       Sticky Date:                          (none)
       Sticky Options:               -kb

    cxh at carson 45% cd ~/ptII/doc/img
    cxh at carson 46% svn status -v PtolemyII.jpg
                49777     6158 cxh          PtolemyII.jpg

    Why doesn't svn status tell me that keyword substitution is not
    occuring?

    ?

    Another issue is that using the svn2cl script to create a ChangeLog
    file takes 2-3 hours instead of the 10 minutes it took with CVS.

    My guess is that the problem is svn2cl.

    I'm starting to see the point of git.  Too bad the clients were
    unusuable.

    </rant>

    Thanks, I feel better now. :-)

    Many thanks also to Bert for looking into the repository size issue.

    _Christopher

    --------

        Hey Christopher,

        I'm not sure how to verify that cvs2svn treated all your files as
        binary, but I think it did because the default to the
--default-eol
        switch is "binary" (and you didn't use the switch and so I assume
it
        used the default).

        I just found this section of the svn book:
        http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#auto-props

        I think (correct me if I'm wrong svn experts) that section
illustrates

        one limitation of your svn repo as it is now: keywords like $Id$
will
        not be automatically changed in your ascii files because the
        svn:keywords property is not set on these files.

        You don't *have* to use --default-eol=native switch when you
convert,
        but it has the benefit of setting the svn:keywords property for
ascii
        files. Also beware: the manual warns to *not* use this switch if
you
        haven't ensured all binary files in your cvs are indeed marked as
such

        (-kb), your svn repo may be corrupt otherwise.

        Using other switches, cvs2svn can also try to deduce which files
are
        binary for you during conversion. I didn't try that, I manually
looked

        at every kepler file (in eclipse) and changed the cvs ascii/binary

        property on those that were set incorrectly so that I could use --

        default-eol=native ie "Full conversion" method described on the
        cvs2svn page.

        More info here:
        http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2svn.html#convert
        http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2svn.html#prep

        Derik

        On Jun 11, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Christopher Brooks wrote:

        > Hi Derik,
        >
        > I'm not familiar with svn property sets.
        >
        > At about 5:30 PM PDT, I did end up making the ptII svn
repository
        > writable by the cvs Unix group, so it might not have been
writable
        > before by anyone but myself before that time:
        >
        > I was just able to set a foo property on $PTII/makefile
        >
        > bash-3.00$ svn propset foo bar makefile
        > property 'foo' set on 'makefile'
        > bash-3.00$ svn proplist makefile
        > Properties on 'makefile':
        >  foo
        > bash-3.00$
        >
        > I did not use --default-eol=native when I did the conversion
using
        > cvs2svn.  If this is required, then the docs of cvs2svn need to
be
        > updated and I may need to rerun the conversion.
        >
        > How would I tell if all the files are binary?
        >
        > I think we are ok, $PTII/makefile does not have a mime-type,
        > but a binary jpg does.
        >
        > bash-3.00$ cd $PTII
        > bash-3.00$ svn propget svn:mime-type makefile
        > bash-3.00$ svn propget svn:mime-type doc/img/PtolemyII.jpg
        > application/octet-stream
        > bash-3.00$
        >
        > _Christopher
        > --------
        >
        >    Hi Christopher and Kepler developers,
        >
        >    We're delaying a bit with our transition to SVN to do a
little
    more
        >    testing.
        >    If we don't hit any problems tonight we'll lock kepler and
    kepler-
        > docs
        >    CVS and do the move tomorrow morning.
        >
        >    So if everyone could plan on *not* using kepler and
kepler-docs
        > CVS in
        >    the morning, that would be appreciated.
        >

        >    One note Christopher: I notice files in the new ptII SVN
don't
    have
        >    properties viewable with e.g the svn proplist command. My
guess
    is
        >    this is because you didn't use --default-eol=native in your
        >    conversion, thus treating all files as binary(?). Which is a
    safer
        >    route for conversion to avoid repository corruption, but now
the
        >    properties are not available. I haven't thought through what
the
        >    ramifications of this are, but I wanted to bring it up to get

    your
        >    thoughts.
        >
        >    Derik
        >
        >    On Jun 9, 2008, at 9:58 AM, Matthew Jones wrote:
        >
        >> Hi Christopher,
        >>
        >> We're ready to go with the kepler conversion to SVN as well,
and
        >> Wednesday sounds like a good day to do it.  Here's our plan:
        >>
        >> 1) Monday: run test conversion of kepler-docs and kepler
modules
        >> 2) Tuesday: inspect test repositories, and test builds
        >> 3) Wednesday: Lock CVS, do the conversion, test build, update
    nightly
        >> build, update build documentation
        >>
        >> Right now our current plan is for Derik to do the move with
support
        >> from
        >> me, Chad, and Ben.  Coordinating the move with ptolemy will
    minimize
        >> downtime.
        >>
        >> Matt
        >>
        >> Christopher Brooks wrote:
        >>> I'm thinking about converting the Ptolemy II cvs repository to
        >>> subversion this week.
        >>>
        >>> To do this, what I would do is:
        >>> 1) Update the Eclipse installation instructions
        >>> 2) Disable the ptII cvs repository
        >>> 3) Convert the ptII cvs repository to svn, which would take a
few

        Ptolemy maillist  -  Ptolemy at chess.eecs.berkeley.edu
    --------

HSBC Bank plc may be solicited in the course of its placement efforts for
a new issue, by investment clients of the firm for whom the Bank as a firm
already provides other services. It may equally decide to allocate to its
own proprietary book or with an associate of HSBC Group. This represents a
potential conflict of interest. HSBC Bank plc has internal arrangements
designed to ensure that the firm would give unbiased and full advice to
the corporate finance client about the valuation and pricing of the
offering as well as internal systems, controls and procedures to identify
and manage conflicts of interest.

HSBC Bank plc
Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ, United Kingdom
Registered in England - Number 14259
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

This transmission has been issued by a member of the HSBC Group
"HSBC" for the information of the addressee only and should not be
reproduced and/or distributed to any other person. Each page
attached hereto must be read in conjunction with any disclaimer
which forms part of it. Unless otherwise stated, this transmission
is neither an offer nor the solicitation of an offer to sell or
purchase any investment. Its contents are based on information
obtained from sources believed to be reliable but HSBC makes no
representation and accepts no responsibility or liability as to its
completeness or accuracy.