[kepler-dev] [Ptolemy] Re: Conversion of Ptolemy II Tree to SVN this week

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 12 09:53:24 PDT 2008

Hi Derik,
Thanks.  I'll either reconvert the repository or fix this by hand.

<rant>
This is further evidence that svn and most things associated with it
are of poor quality.

Why would the default value in svnfor --default-eol be binary?  To protect
the user because they messed up the binary status of their CVS
repository?  This is another very poor decision.  I get punished
because my CVS repository was right?  Yep, I should have carefully
read the fine manual, but I think it is more reasonable to set the
default of the tool correctly.  I read the manual and carefully
cleaned my tree, but then the default setting of cvs2svn ignores this
work?

?

Another issue is that using the svn2cl script to create a ChangeLog
file takes 2-3 hours instead of the 10 minutes it took with CVS.

My guess is that the problem is svn2cl.

</rant>

Thanks, I feel better now. :-)

Many thanks also to Bert for looking into the repository size issue.

_Christopher

--------

    Hey Christopher,

    I'm not sure how to verify that cvs2svn treated all your files as
    binary, but I think it did because the default to the --default-eol
    switch is "binary" (and you didn't use the switch and so I assume it
    used the default).

    I just found this section of the svn book:
    http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#auto-props

    I think (correct me if I'm wrong svn experts) that section illustrates
    one limitation of your svn repo as it is now: keywords like $Id$ will
    not be automatically changed in your ascii files because the
    svn:keywords property is not set on these files.

    You don't *have* to use --default-eol=native switch when you convert,
    but it has the benefit of setting the svn:keywords property for ascii
    files. Also beware: the manual warns to *not* use this switch if you
    haven't ensured all binary files in your cvs are indeed marked as such
    (-kb), your svn repo may be corrupt otherwise.

    Using other switches, cvs2svn can also try to deduce which files are
    binary for you during conversion. I didn't try that, I manually looked
    at every kepler file (in eclipse) and changed the cvs ascii/binary
    property on those that were set incorrectly so that I could use --
    default-eol=native ie "Full conversion" method described on the
    cvs2svn page.

    More info here:
    http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2svn.html#convert
    http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2svn.html#prep

    Derik

    On Jun 11, 2008, at 6:38 PM, Christopher Brooks wrote:

> [...]
    > writable by the cvs Unix group, so it might not have been writable
    > before by anyone but myself before that time:
    >
    > I was just able to set a foo property on $PTII/makefile
    >
    > bash-3.00$ svn propset foo bar makefile
    > property 'foo' set on 'makefile'
    > bash-3.00$ svn proplist makefile
    > Properties on 'makefile':
    >  foo
    > bash-3.00$
    >
    > I did not use --default-eol=native when I did the conversion using
    > cvs2svn.  If this is required, then the docs of cvs2svn need to be
    > updated and I may need to rerun the conversion.
    >
    > How would I tell if all the files are binary?
    >
    > I think we are ok, $PTII/makefile does not have a mime-type,
    > but a binary jpg does.
    >
    > bash-3.00$ cd $PTII
    > bash-3.00$ svn propget svn:mime-type makefile
    > bash-3.00$ svn propget svn:mime-type doc/img/PtolemyII.jpg
    > application/octet-stream
    > bash-3.00$
    >
    > _Christopher
    > --------
    >
    >    Hi Christopher and Kepler developers,
    >
    >    We're delaying a bit with our transition to SVN to do a little more
    >    testing.
    >    If we don't hit any problems tonight we'll lock kepler and kepler-
    > docs
    >    CVS and do the move tomorrow morning.
    >
    >    So if everyone could plan on *not* using kepler and kepler-docs
    > CVS in
    >    the morning, that would be appreciated.
    >

    >    One note Christopher: I notice files in the new ptII SVN don't have
    >    properties viewable with e.g the svn proplist command. My guess is
    >    this is because you didn't use --default-eol=native in your
    >    conversion, thus treating all files as binary(?). Which is a safer
    >    route for conversion to avoid repository corruption, but now the
    >    properties are not available. I haven't thought through what the
    >    ramifications of this are, but I wanted to bring it up to get your
    >    thoughts.
    >
    >    Derik
    >
    >    On Jun 9, 2008, at 9:58 AM, Matthew Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Christopher,
    >>
    >> We're ready to go with the kepler conversion to SVN as well, and
    >> Wednesday sounds like a good day to do it.  Here's our plan:
    >>
    >> 1) Monday: run test conversion of kepler-docs and kepler modules
    >> 2) Tuesday: inspect test repositories, and test builds
    >> 3) Wednesday: Lock CVS, do the conversion, test build, update nightly
    >> build, update build documentation
    >>
    >> Right now our current plan is for Derik to do the move with support
    >> from
    >> me, Chad, and Ben.  Coordinating the move with ptolemy will minimize
    >> downtime.
    >>
    >> Matt
    >>
    >> Christopher Brooks wrote:
    >>> I'm thinking about converting the Ptolemy II cvs repository to
    >>> subversion this week.
    >>>
    >>> To do this, what I would do is:
    >>> 1) Update the Eclipse installation instructions
    >>> 2) Disable the ptII cvs repository
    >>> 3) Convert the ptII cvs repository to svn, which would take a few

    Ptolemy maillist  -  Ptolemy at chess.eecs.berkeley.edu