[kepler-dev] draft conversion of ptII tree from svn to cvs and svn nits

ian.brown at hsbcib.com ian.brown at hsbcib.com
Wed Jun 4 00:56:44 PDT 2008

Christopher,
        the benefits I see from SVN are different than what you highlight.
In particular they are:

1. Atomic commits. The directory itself is versioned and so when you
commit number of files to implement an issue they naturally stay together.
Also, if a network problem happens you don't get into a situation where
only some of the files are committed.

2. Better binary file handling. Binary diffs are stored and transmitted
making updates faster and repository storage smaller.

3. Updates / commits are faster because diffs are sent both directions on
the network whilst CVS tends to only send diffs from server -> client and
sends entire files in the other direction.

I've not seen the disk hog stuff before. I assume this is the repository
size on the server and not the client. You expect the client size to be
twice that of CVS because SVN makes a backup of each file so that it can
do local diff and rollback without needing to contact the server over the
network. On the server, are you using the file storage configuration?

Ian

"Christopher Brooks" <cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu>
Sent by: kepler-dev-bounces at ecoinformatics.org
04/06/2008 04:14
Mail Size: 6485

kepler-dev at ecoinformatics.org
cc

Subject
[kepler-dev] draft conversion of ptII tree from svn to cvs and svn nits
Entity
Investment Banking Europe - IBEU

I have some notes about svn at
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemy/wiki/Ptolemy/Subversion

The gist of this is reported below:

I did a first cut of a conversion from cvs to svn for the ptII tree.

To try it from the command line:
  svn co svn+ssh://source.eecs.berkeley.edu/home/svn_chess/ptII/trunk
  mv trunk ptII
  cd ptII
  ./configure

Note that this is just a test copy, this is not a live copy, I'll be
deleting the svn tree and creating it again from cvs when I'm ready to
move over.  So, _don't_check_in_changes_ to the ptII svn repository
and expect to see them last.

I'll be working on the Eclipse setup and on a real set of instructions.

I found a few interesting nits about svn:

    * Is svn that much better than cvs? http://subversion.tigris.org
      says "Subversion is meant to be a better CVS, so it has most of
      CVS's features". Typical arguments used for svn over cvs:
          o Merging in svn is better than in cvs. How many people
            actually use branches?
          o It is easier to move files in svn than in cvs. This has
            some merit, but is it worth the effort?
    * Building the client requires way too many other packages. How
      can svn possibly stay secure if it depends on so many packages
    * Subversion can optionally use Apache for access. Enabling a web
      server on a machine that does not already have one makes the
      machine less secure.
    * There is no decent svn Unix style man page. This is deliberate,
      see Bug 1508. This is not good. I want to know exactly what
      commands will work with a specific installation of SVN, not what
      the latest documentation for the latest version is.
    * svn is a disk hog.
          o A gzipped tar file of the Ptolemy II cvs tree is 372.9 MB.
          o A gzipped tar file of the same tree after running the
            conversion from cvs to svn is 570MB.

HSBC Bank plc may be solicited in the course of its placement efforts for
a new issue, by investment clients of the firm for whom the Bank as a firm
already provides other services. It may equally decide to allocate to its
own proprietary book or with an associate of HSBC Group. This represents a
potential conflict of interest. HSBC Bank plc has internal arrangements
designed to ensure that the firm would give unbiased and full advice to
the corporate finance client about the valuation and pricing of the
offering as well as internal systems, controls and procedures to identify
and manage conflicts of interest.

HSBC Bank plc
Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ, United Kingdom
Registered in England - Number 14259
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

This transmission has been issued by a member of the HSBC Group
"HSBC" for the information of the addressee only and should not be
reproduced and/or distributed to any other person. Each page
attached hereto must be read in conjunction with any disclaimer
which forms part of it. Unless otherwise stated, this transmission
is neither an offer nor the solicitation of an offer to sell or
purchase any investment. Its contents are based on information
obtained from sources believed to be reliable but HSBC makes no
representation and accepts no responsibility or liability as to its
completeness or accuracy.