[kepler-dev] [kepler-users] question about kepler

Paul Allen pea1 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 21 09:34:36 PDT 2008

Here are the major architectural components for the web-based GUI that
we are working on. Our ultimate model calls for only handling workflows
created in our web-based workflow editor, so we haven't worried about
the kind of Actor replacements that Hydrant does.

    * *Spring-based MVC controllers*
    * *Rich web client*
      for authoring workflows using a custom/limited set of actors that
      use I/O appropriate to their web environment

    * *Workflow Repository*
      Stores housekeeping information about a workflow (e.g., name,
      owner, description) and references MoML in one of the following ways:
         1. inline - internal to the workflow DB record itself
         2. URL
         3. URL to Fedora Commons digital object

    * *Job Repository*
      Repository of requests for workflow executions. Acts as a queue
      for workflow jobs to be executed.

    * *Parameter Repository*
      Repository of workflow parameters and values. Supports two kinds
      of parameter values:
         1. *standard parameters* that are applied at each execution of
            a workflow
         2. *job parameters* that override standard parameters for a
            particular job

    * *Job Engine*
      A generic framework for executing jobs, based on Quartz. This uses
      a large-grained workflow execution model where a workflow executes
      within a single thread. It is not a fine-grained execution model
      where a single workflow is executed on multiple CPUs or multiple
      threads. The idea is that job engines are started on multiple
      servers, and they interact with the job repository to pull jobs
      off the job repository queue and execute them. Each job engine can
      be provided with a pool of threads to use in executing jobs; this
      pool can be customized to match the resources of the hardware on
      which it runs.

    * *Engine Registry*
      A job engine uses the central engine registry to provide
      information about itself and its status. This is used for
      monitoring, but could be expanded to use for controlling remote
      job engines.

Here is the short presentation I have at the Kepler Stakeholders meeting:
https://code.kepler-project.org/code/kepler-docs/trunk/meetings/2008_05_13_Stakeholders_mtg/presentations/allen-bap-stakeholders-mtg-2008.pdf