[kepler-dev] Bug Reporting appreciated too

Matthew Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jan 17 12:14:07 PST 2008

We need 'Bug Reporting Day' too. But it won't be on one day.

I've gotten some good feedback about the bug squashing day.  One
excellent suggestion is that we focus on making sure the bug list is
complete.  We work hard to capture the problem reports for Kepler, but
many escape our attention or go unreported.  So, we encourage you all to:

Report Kepler bugs, problems, and feature requests by Jan 22, 2008 to
    http://bugzilla.ecoinformatics.org

Please search the list for an existing report of your problem, add
details to it if you find one, or create a new bug report for issues
that aren't already listed.

We do not plan on adding new features or significantly refactoring any
part of the application for the 1.0.0 release, but its still good to
capture those problems so that we can consider them and prioritize them
for future releases.

We'll be focusing on bugs in this release that stabilize the existing
features and that clarify or improve documentation.

Thanks,

Matt

Matthew Jones wrote:
> To try and accelerate the rate at which we can get a stable release out,
> we are planning to have a Kepler Bug Day next week:
>
>    Kepler Bug Day: January 23, 2008
>
> We invite all Kepler developers to take time out of your busy schedules
> and spend the day helping us to find and close bugs that will help make
> the Kepler release stable and complete.
>
> Here's how it will work.  On January 23, please log into the #kepler IRC
> channel on irc.ecoinformatics.org to coordinate with other developers.
> Then take a look at the current bugs targeted for the release and choose
> one that you want to tackle:
>
> http://bugzilla.ecoinformatics.org/buglist.cgi?product=Kepler&target_milestone=1.0.0rc1&target_milestone=1.0.0&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&order=bugs.target_milestone,bugs.bug_severity,bugs.priority&columnlist=bug_severity,priority,assigned_to,bug_status,target_milestone,short_short_desc
>
> Open the bug, and read to the end of the comments.  If nobody else has
> taken the bug yet, please assign it to yourself, adding a comment that
> you are taking the bug for Bug Day so that others can tell you are
> working on it. Fix the bug.  Ask for help on IRC #kepler if you need it.
>     Help others on #kepler IRC if you can. Also, if you find other bugs
> that you think should be fixed for the releases, enter them in Bugzilla
> and discuss them on IRC. We'll all celebrate when the bug count for the
> release hits 0.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.  We're counting on you.  It should be a
> fun and exciting day for the project.
>
> Cheers,
> Matt

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo