[kepler-dev] kepler release plans

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 16 16:33:53 PST 2008

Hi Matt,

Sounds good!

>From which Ptolemy sources will you be shuipping 1.0.0 on?
Will you update or will you stick with your current snapshot (if any)?

If you are working from a current snapshot, I'm not sure when
you made it, so I can't for sure say what ptII changes are
a total win which would require an update :-)

In general, I'd encourage you to update so that you have the latest
ptII code in Kepler so that Kepler users can effectively collaborate
with Ptolemy users.  For example, if you are working with code
from before the actor Exectuable split to Executable and
Initializable, then I'm not sure if sharing .class files with
the current ptII tree will work.  There could also be compile
level issues.

One change that is recent is that we now have Float and Short
types.  It might be too late to merge this into your tree though.

Howevere, one issue we are seeing is that it appears that there is a
memory leak in ChangeRequest.  Jackie has identified it, but we have
not tracked it down.

I intend to release a Ptolemy II 7.0.beta (or maybe alpha) at the end
of this month.  Next Wednesday at 8am we are starting a ptII code
freeze that will continue until the release.

Between next Wednesday and the end of month the changes will include
another round of style cleanups and cleanups.

_Christopher

--------

    We've been discussing the Kepler 1.0.0 release plans for a long time,
    but at last we are looking to bring this to fruition, partly because
    some of our funding is ending and it is a good time to consolidate our
    current work.  Several of us have discussed a release schedule for the
    1.0.0 release that allows us to get a more stable and updated version of
    Kepler into the hands of our users.  As I mentioned in an earlier email,
    we've had over 25,000 downloads of the various kepler installers, and I
    think it is important that we update the installer to something that is
    more stable for our users.

    We've taken the time to categorize the existing Kepler bugs into two
    releases with the following target dates:

    kepler-1.0.0rc1       Kepler 1.0.0 Release Candidate 1
          Feb 1, 2008
          17 bugs
    http://bugzilla.ecoinformatics.org/buglist.cgi?product=Kepler&target_milest
   one=1.0.0rc1&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&order=bu
   gs.target_milestone,bugs.bug_severity,bugs.priority&columnlist=bug_severity,
   priority,assigned_to,bug_status,target_milestone,short_short_desc

    kepler-1.0.0          Kepler 1.0.0
          Feb 22, 2008
          11 bugs plus any new critical issues from rc1
    http://bugzilla.ecoinformatics.org/buglist.cgi?product=Kepler&target_milest
   one=1.0.0&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&order=bugs.
   target_milestone,bugs.bug_severity,bugs.priority&columnlist=bug_severity,pri
   ority,assigned_to,bug_status,target_milestone,short_short_desc

    At this point we are not looking to add new features -- rather to simply
    stabilize the existing issues for release.

    After the kepler-1.0.0 release is made, we will make every effort to
    support the product while the Kepler/CORE project works on refactoring
    the application for longer-term stability, maintenance, and
    extensibility.  See [1] for a description of Kepler/CORE.

    Your feedback, help, and support on this release are appreciated.

    Sincerely,
    Matt

    [1] http://www.kepler-project.org/Wiki.jsp?page=KeplerCOREAnnouncement
    Matthew B. Jones
    Director of Informatics Research and Development
    UC Santa Barbara
    jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
    http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo