[kepler-dev] build a custom actor

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 20 10:21:51 PDT 2008

We're aware that the ID system in Kepler is not perfect.  For now, we
just use the readme file to get the next id.  This will all be revisited
once the Kepler-CORE development on Kepler gets going in earnest.

In theory, the way this should work is that every object in Kepler
should have a unique lsid including jars, kars, classes, moml files,
etc.  The object manager within kepler should then be able to manage
objects in the system by id.  In practice, we have really only used the
lsid system for actors, although a lot of the groundwork for identifying
other objects is there.  We just haven't had the resources to fully
implement this functionality.

For more info on lsids see http://lsids.sourceforge.net/

chad