[kepler-dev] question about kepler

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 20 10:12:08 PDT 2008

Hi,

See my responses below.

dejw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have questions about actor's repository in kepler - it supports
> public/private access levels to simplify the process of uploading actors.
> So is it hard coded in kepler? Or maybe it is configured somewhere? So I
> understand PUBLIC/PRIVATE that are roles? Can I extend somehow the
> available roles?

The access is controlled by the metacat server on which the repository
runs.  The Kepler client does not yet have the needed UI to allow users
to set the access control so it's currently hard coded to default to
public read.

> Metacat supports fine grained, role-based access control of the objects
> it stores - so is it possible to extend roles supported in kepler as a
> client to the metacat?

This is possible and will be implemented whenever we begin work on the
repository again.  It's been stalled for a while while we work on other
parts of the project.  I imagine with the new Kepler-CORE project, the
repository will once again be worked on.

> You wrote that Metacat was one of candidates as the repository - could
> you mention here others which did you take into consideration and why
> Metacat was used actually?

Metacat was used because it is also one of the projects that we have
been working on and it integrates nicely with our other metadata based
projects.  I don't remember off hand the other candidates.

> Could you explain also what exactly is stored in the repository? The
> whole KAR archive ? So I understand I can put into repository some
> completely new actor (with all classes and jars etc).
> And if I have some standard kepler installed somewhere I can connect to
> the repository and use this new actor - it is imported to the local
> directory with actors with all classes and libs?

The KAR file and a modified metadata description of the actor are stored
in the repository.  Unfortunately, we have not yet implemented storing
class/jar files in the KAR file so right now, the only actors that
really work with the repository are the ones strictly defined in MoML
(i.e. Sinewave) or actors where all of the classes are in the base
installation of Kepler.  We know this is a major limitation and it's on
our list of things to fix as soon as we start working on the repository
again.

Hope this helps clear some stuff up.

chad