[kepler-dev] Bugs vs. Features

Timothy McPhillips tmcphillips at mac.com
Wed Apr 2 15:50:52 PDT 2008

Hi Christopher,

I agree with you that these are useful distinctions and your opinions
mainstream.

As I'm sure you are aware, a possibly orthogonal aspect is to what
extent a system such as bugzilla is used as a project management
framework in any particular organization.  At one extreme one can use
bugzilla as a system for listing every development activity planned
or ongoing, tracking what every developer is working on, detailing
the dependencies between tasks, planning future feature sets, etc.

At the other end of the spectrum one can use bugzilla as a
communication tool between a development team and a community of
users (who may also be developers).  In this mode the community
reports bugs and requests enhancements via bugzilla and the
development team responds to these reports and requests and provides
status updates via bugzilla, but all detailed project planning,
internal discussions, task prioritization, etc, are managed some
other way, and fewer of the bugzilla bells and whistles (e.g.,
priorities) need to be used.

Either way (and anywhere in between), it certainly is useful to
describe the policies and procedures for using such systems for a
particular project (and to discuss explicitly what features are to be
used in that project).  My bias is toward the latter approach (i.e.,
as a tool for communicating with the community) because I feel that
systems like bugzilla tend not to provide a sufficiently complete
(and convenient) set of project management features (e.g., the
hierarchical structure of projects and tasks is difficult to
represent clearly), and use of them in the first mode leads either to
redundant entry or loss of project management details.  It's a bad
thing when a technology limits what you can say or think. On the
other hand, I think how bugzilla is used in kepler development today
does reflect how the collaborative effort actually works.

How about we discuss how we want to use bugzilla or similar systems,
going forward, at the Kepler/CORE developers meeting in May?

Cheers,

Tim