[kepler-dev] Input from Excel file

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Sep 24 20:56:31 PDT 2007

Hi Izabell,
    There are no Kepler actors that can directly read Excel's *.xls
files (the primary Excel binary file format which is proprietary). Excel
files can be exported as comma or space delimited text files than can be
handled by several of Kepler's actors.

    There is an existing open source project (http://poi.apache.org/)
that does provide support for directly reading Excel and other Microsoft
files. The tools in this project could be used to build a Kepler actor
that could read Excel files to the extent that POI can do so, but a
software developer would need to take the time to develop such an actor.

Dan Higgins
NCEAS

-----