[kepler-dev] Threaded actors in the DE Domain

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 12 16:59:17 PDT 2007

More on this:

It actually would not be enough for the fireAt() method to be
thread safe.  In fact, it can never be enough for the fireAt()
method to be thread safe.

The problem is that fireAt() takes a Time argument.  You have
no assurance that between the time you calculate the value of
that Time argument and the time you call fireAt() that current
time in the DE director hasn't moved past that time.

Thus, calling fireAt() from a separate thread _always_ leaves
open the possibility of an exception that the time argument is
in the past.

You could use fireAtCurrentTime(), which we created exactly
for this purpose.  But that doesn't seem to have the semantics
you want.  So I suggest following my suggestion from the

Edward