[kepler-dev] Windows launcher for Kepler

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 29 10:12:11 PST 2007

Cool!
We use launch4j as part of the Ptolemy Windows installer,
it seems to work ok.

_Christopher
--------

    Hi All,
        If you update Kepler CVS to get a recent version, there should be a
    file called "Kepler-launch.exe" inside the base $KEPLER directory. This
    is a Windows launcher for Kepler built using launch4j (see
    http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/). [There is now also an ant target for
    building this exe.]

        This executable launcher should start up Kepler on machines using
    the Windows OS. Note that it does assume/require that the
    $KEPLER/build/kepler.jar file exists. The file is NOT in a fresh CVS
    checkout but is built with the 'ant jar' target. The kepler.jar file,
    once built, contains all the Ptolemy classes used by Kepler and the
    Kepler base classes.

        A lot of developers may not use Windows, but lmany Kepler users do.
    I am thus interested in testing this open-source launcher on a number of
    Windows machines. It does seem to work OK for me, but I would like
    feedback from others on their experiences. One feature is that if Java
    is not installed, the user should be notified and a web page for
    downloading Java displayed. So tests on machines without Java would be
    nice. I would also like to know if this works on machines running Vista.

    Thanks for any feedback (and details on the versions of Windows & Java
    used would be helpful).

    Dan Higgins

    Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
    http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
    National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Scienc
   e Building - Room 3405
    Santa Barbara, CA 93195