[kepler-dev] Kepler user interface + relation to Recito

Edward A. Lee eal at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 19 15:06:39 PST 2007

A couple of points:

- We have always carefully architected the Java classes in the
  Ptolemy core packages to not depend on the UI, so all of the
  things you propose for separating execution from the UI should be doable.

- I use Eclipse with Ptolemy II all the time, and find the ability
  to develop Java classes (actors, etc.) and have them automatically
  update in the running vergil extremely useful.  Setting breakpoints
  is also extremely useful.  But all of these tasks are code development
  tasks, not model development tasks.

- A tighter Eclipse integration supporting model development
  could be very attractive, but there is a potentially huge job.
  In particular, Eclipse does not integrate well with the AWT, so
  all the underlying graphics support in vergil, the plotters,
  the dialog boxes, etc., would have to be redone.  This is a
  very big job.  Is it worth it?

- One argument for using Eclipse is to get the one-window style
  of interface, vs. the multi-window interface currently used in
  Kepler and Vergil.  However, this can be accomplished by a more
  modest effort.  There is a good starting point already available.
  Invoke vergil -single, and you get a tabbed pane interface where
  all the models you open end up in the same window.

- An Eclipse interface would not make a good interface for the model
  _user_ (vs. model developer and code developer).  Or, more precisely,
  I would be hard pressed to figure out how to use Eclipse effectively
  for that purpose.

So I would caution against deciding for an Eclipse interface just
because Eclipse is cool (which it is).  It requires some careful thought about
both cost and benefits.

Edward