[kepler-dev] Kepler Web UI?

Tristan King tristan.king at jcu.edu.au
Sun Nov 11 17:27:57 PST 2007

Hi all,

The short answer is Yes. it's all open source, and publicly available.

However, i've yet to put together any in-depth install documentation so
it wont be an easy feat just yet.

I'll be building an install script eventually, so i'd suggest waiting
till then, but if you're really keen, but here's a quick run down of the
current setup procedure (this is done under linux, no idea if it'll work
under windows):

prereqs: java, maven, subversion, kepler, ptolemyII

1. download the Jython subversion trunk
http://jython.org/Project/devguide.html#checkout

2. download my jython-django package from svn
svn co https://dev.archer.edu.au/projects/kepler/svn/jython-django/trunk
jython-django

3. apply the patches from 'jython-django/jython-patches' to the jython
trunk

4. build jython (use 'ant developer-build', from the 'jython/jython'
directory. this creates a 'dist' directory

5. copy all the files (except rlcompleter.py) from
'jython-django/jython-Lib' to 'jython/jython/dist/Lib/'

6. make a symlink to the 'jython-django/django' directory (or just copy
it) in 'jython/jython/dist/Lib/'

7. to run jython, i grab the official release from the jython site take
the 'jython' bin script out and modify it to point to the dist dir that
building jython creates.

8. download the web portal code from svn
svn co https://dev.archer.edu.au/projects/kepler/svn/WebPortal/trunk
portal

9. make a 'lib' directory under 'portal', and copy the kepler and
ptolemy jars into it (any other jars needed to execute your workflows go
in here too)

10. download the postgresql jdbc driver and put it into lib (if this
doesn't work add it to the jython classpath instead)

11. build java portion of the portal, this is done with maven, which
will ask you to put the kepler and ptolemy jars into your maven
repository. the script "do-java" runs the compile and jar functions then
copies the jar to the lib directory, so you can just use that.

12. set up a postgresql server (with a user that can log in via md5
remotely)

13. edit 'portal/src/main/jython/settings.py'
 * change PROJECT_HOME to the 'portal' directory
 * modify the database settings to match your database

14. from 'portal/src/main/jython'
 * run 'jython manage.py syncdb' and follow the instructions (this is
the first time your database will be accessed, so if stuff fails you may
have to do a bit of tweaking on your postgresql server'
 * run 'jython manage.py runserver 0.0.0.0:8000'