[kepler-dev] Kepler Web UI updates

Tristan King tristan.king at jcu.edu.au
Tue Nov 6 20:00:32 PST 2007

Hi all,

I've made some fairly major updates to my Proof of concept web UI for
kepler.

Web UI is kind of the wrong terminology for this tho. The way I look at
it, kepler is the workflow design and testing IDE, and what i'm building
is an alternative execution platform.

Anyone interested, please have a play, try to break things, and give me
as much feedback as you can. I think the concepts are a lot easier to
understand than before, but as before, i came up with the concepts so
i'm not the right person to judge that. :)

Here's a bit of a run through:

http://bow.archer.edu.au/kepler/portal/
username: test
password: test

first page you're presented with (after the login) is the Dashboard.
This isn't very functional at the moment.
The recent workflow and notification systems aren't in place yet, and
the tagged workflows just list all available workflows.
The links up in the top right corner go to a search page for workflows
and jobs.
The grey upload workflow button goes to a form which you can use to
upload a workflow.

As for uploading workflows, there is currently very little error
checking in what is passed into the system. so make sure anything you
upload is valid. also, please limit output actors to the "Display" and
"XY Plotter" actors, and make sure the workflow has an end.

The Workflow View (accessed by clicking on the workflow name in the
"Tagged Workflows" list of from the workflow search page):

Provides a View of the workflow, the description, and a job submission
form. This form displays a list of "exposed parameters".
I've disabled the moving of the workflows for now, since it was purely
aesthetic and proved more complicating than useful.

Clicking the setup button in the top left corner allows the parameters
in the workflow to be modified and/or exposed.

After clicking on the setup button, you can double click on actors to
bring up their properties.

Checking the "Expose to user" box will cause the property to show up in
the job submission list.

The Save Description option isn't implemented yet.

Click "Done +" when finished with the setup to go back to the view.

Clicking the "Run Job" button in the bottom right corner will submit
this workflow with the parameters in the form to be executed.

Once the Job is finished the Job view (accessable from the Job search
page, or the "recent jobs" part of the dashboard) displays the start and
end time of the job and any output from the job.

Cheers
-Tristan