[kepler-dev] Rearranging Kepler jars

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon May 14 15:50:26 PDT 2007

Hi All,
    As anyone who has looked into the$Kepler/lib.jar directory knows,
Kepler has a very large number of jar files. In an attempt to sort out
just what jars get used where, I experimented to find out just what jars
were needed for starting up Kepler if one did not load the actor code at
startup. I thus removed all the actor kar files (but for a single
Ptolemy actor that called no additonal java code). I also tried doing an
ecogrid data search to find jars used there. The result is a set of 29
jars that are needed for starting up Kepler and searching for data. I am
calling this set of jars 'base-jars' and they are now in the
'$Kepler/lib/jar/base-jars/' directory in the head of CVS. All jars NOT
in this directory are assumed to be needed for specific actors.

    Eventually, we hope to load actor specific jars with actor kar
files. This rearrangement of jars is just a first step in trying to
simplify the problem of a having a confusingly large number of jar files.

    Note that the 'actor specific jars' have not been moved, and
(hopefully) building Kepler should work the same as before. I did try
putting the actor-specific jars in their own directory, but a problem
occurs with the cipres jars on launch - apparently the cipres code
requires the cipres jars to be in their current location!

Dan

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195