[kepler-dev] Web Harvester

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sat May 5 08:03:45 PDT 2007

Dan,
    Thank you for the help on prototyping workflows. I have looked at
your suggestion (but only peripherally). It seems a solid way to
prototype workflows. May I ask another question?

    In another paper that you and several others are co-authors of,
"Scientific Workflow Management and the KEPLER system" (primary author
Bertram Ludascher), you mention the Web Harvester. I had also seen
reference to this in the original paper where I asked about Protyping
Workflows.

    Is this service still in Kepler? I cannot find an actor titled
"WSHarvester," as is in Figure 5 of that paper. A simple search on
"Harvester" also brings up no actors.

Thank you again for the help,

Glen Jarvis
--
913-486-8775
glen at glenjarvis.com
http://www.glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi

Hi Glen,
We did have such a prototyping actor in Kepler at one time that
generated Java stub code. It got dropped (for various reasons I cannot
remember!). However, a complex workflow can easily be prototyped using
the Composite actor. Just drag as many Composites as needed to the
canvas, add input/output ports, change the Composites names to
appropriate values. Each Composite can represent a high level logical
function in a workflow design. It doesn't need to do anything
initially, while later it can be opened and detailed subworkflows can
be constructed inside the composite (either with existing low level
actors or new ones.)

Dan Higgins
NCEAS