[kepler-dev] Revisions to "Getting Started..." Guide

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sun Mar 18 22:55:26 PDT 2007

Ilkay and Matt,
    Thank you for the feedback and direction. I had found, after
stumbling around more, that I actually had simple access to CVS by
accessing http://www.kepler-project.org -> For Users -> Documentation.

I had what appears to be the latest PDF version:

> Revision 1.7 / (download) / (as text) - [select for diffs], Wed Jan
> 3 18:33:46 > 2007 UTC (2 months, 1 week ago) by higgins
> Branch: MAIN
> CVS Tags: HEAD
> Changes since 1.6: +1914 -4105 lines
> Diff to previous 1.6 (colored)
>
> updated PDF of word doc

However, after sending my email, I found the document I was looking
for in word format:

> Revision 1.42 / (as text) / (view) - [select for diffs], Tue Feb 20
> 20:58:45 2007 UTC (3 weeks, 5 days ago) by kandersonBranch: MAIN
> CVS Tags: HEAD
> Changes since 1.41: +464 -536 lines
> Diff to previous 1.41 (colored)
>
> Made fixes to actor icon table.

Also, the actor icon table had been updated, which was the largest
confusion in the version I looked at. So, this Word version is
"higher" or "more current" than the PDF regardless of version
numbering. (I recognize both are different streams.)

Regardless, I had thought that the changes I could make would go into
the Word document directly with highlights to avoid confusion in
editing. However, it looks like work on this is more active than I
originally thought. And, since I use Open Office instead of Microsoft
Word, it could accidentally modify the formatting in a detrimental
way. So, I will instead make my changes and forward them to the group
and to Kristen.

I can only do this as part of my research on the weekends, so I won't
be able to review the new version (with a fresh pass) until the weekend.

Regardless, thank you again for the response. It helped me get
started. Also, from an outside point of view, I must say that the
document was already helpful. And, although it had obvious omissions,
it felt very close to being a Beta (or at least an Alpha) version of a
product. I made it through almost all of the examples.

Warmest Regards,

Glen Jarvis
--
913-486-8775
glen at glenjarvis.com
http://bioinformatics.glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi