[kepler-dev] Volunteer: Corrections to Getting Started with Kepler

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sat Mar 17 08:16:59 PDT 2007

As a student who is research Kepler from the ground up, I've only
really read several web pages, the Ptolemy Overview, and the "Getting
Started with Kepler" guide. This is beneficial because I'm seeing this
information freshly and still have that "fresh understanding."

I have just joined the Kepler Dev group, and can only benefit the
community in one small way. I can take a few days to make corrections
to the "Getting Started with Kepler" guide. The file I have obtained
has no version numbering, but is 44 pages and the filename is
"draft-getting-started-guide.pdf." If I do not have the current
version of this guide, please direct me to the new guide and disregard
the rest of this email.

If this is the current version, I found several mistakes that I could
help with. Examples of items I noticed while freshly reviewing this
guide are:
* The "Image Converter" documentation states that it is not used in any demo,
   but, I found it in demo 3 "ImageDisplay.xml."
* When going through the examples, the "File to String Converter" was not
   found. However, the "FileReader" worked well in the example.
* There are several typos. For example, on page 30 we see "This
workflow adds a
   sting o..." where the word should be "string" not "sting."

I found the guide very helpful in getting started. And, I'd like to
polish it up and possibly get it out of status. The only thing I don't
know are the descriptions of each of the icons in section 5.3

So, I ask, may I:
* Have an editable copy of this document so that I may make changes
   and submit it for review?
* Understand what documentation versioning schemes are used in the Kepler
   Project. "Overview of the Ptolemy Project" is simply dated. So, would
   version: 20070317 be appropriate?
* Have anyones advice and/or permission on proceeding with this?

Warmest Regards,

Glen Jarvis
--
913-486-8775
glen at glenjarvis.com
http://www.glenjarvis.com

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi