[kepler-dev] [kepler-users] Parallel Pipelines

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 13 09:09:37 PDT 2007

Hey,

I'll just give a brief update on the work that Lucas and I have been
doing, since there seem to be a few people interested.

We've got a working prototype going right now.  What is currently
possible is to build a workflow with a DistributedCompositeActor (DCA),
inside which you place the workflow that you want executed remotely.
You then put the host names of the distributed hosts you want to run on
in a config file.  When Kepler executes the workflow, it sends the DCA
and its components out to the slaves for execution.  The results are
then sent back to the master when execution is finished.  It's still
pretty rough and we're working out the details, but it does work for
limited inputs and outputs (actually, now it should work for multiple
inputs, but we're still working on sending back multiple outputs).
We're also still working on error handling which requires that the slave
report back to the master via RMI when an exception occurs on the remote
workflow.

If you want to try it for yourself, there is a readme
(kepler/distributed-readme.txt) that outlines the process for getting it
going.  Basically you need to run rmiregistry and our SlaveController on
each of the remote machine you want to access, then you need to build
your workflow using the DCA.

I'd be happy to answer any questions or try to help people get it
running.  Just find me on IRC.

chad