[kepler-dev] debuging in actor development

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at ucdavis.edu
Wed Aug 29 10:36:45 PDT 2007

On 8/29/07, Dan Higgins <higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>     Actually, the 'Listen to Actor' menu has been removed from Kepler.
> (I am not at all sure why!)

Uhh...  who did it? Some "cvs provenance" query  could find the culprit ;-)

BTW, Norbert, Carlos: since you are interested in "progress monitoring /
indicators" for PN (and other MoCs), this might be of interest for you.

Are you using the "listen to actor" approach?  If not, what else?

Bertram

    You can always debug with simple 'System.out.println(...)'
> statements in the actor code. Results appear in the command prompt
> window used to launch Kepler. Kepler uses log4j in many of its actors.
> Check the Kepler wiki and search for 'log4j' for details.
>
> Dan
>
> Edward A. Lee wrote:
> > Sure, if you look in many of the actors, they have lines like:
> >
> >    if (_debugging) {
> >       _debug("My debug message here.");
> >    }
> >
> > Then you can right click on the actor and select "Listen to Actor"
> > (at least in Ptolemy II... I assume the menu option is available in
> Kepler).
> >
> > Edward
> >
> > At 12:00 AM 8/29/2007, [BE] Ufuk Utku Turuncoglu wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I just wonder that is it possible to redirect the print statement to an
> >> display (such as to "Listen Director"). I mean, i need to put some
> print
> >> statement into my code to see the results of key variables. When i run
> >> the workflow using java interface i could not see the output of the
> >> print statement. What kind of debuging options exist in kepler?
> >>
> >> Best wishes
> >>
> >> Ufuk Utku Turuncoglu
> >> ITU, HPC

> --
> Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
> http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
> National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine
> Science Building - Room 3405
> Santa Barbara, CA 93195

Bertram Ludaescher, Assoc. Professor
Dept of Computer Science & Genome Center
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616
Ph: (530) 754-8576
ludaesch at ucdavis.edu