[kepler-dev] Need to update .kepler

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Aug 10 14:59:46 PDT 2007

Hi All,

    I have just checked-in some changes to the way the Kepler actor
library (the tree on the left with the installed actors) is built. The
purpose of these changes is speed up the startup time of Kepler by
avoiding the execution of all the actor classes at startup. By my tests,
the startup time for building the library is 3-4 times faster depending
on whether it is a 'cold' start (java never run before) or whether the
cache exists. There is still too much delay the first time Kepler is
loaded; note that restarting Kepler without shutting down your computer
is faster because the OS caches many of the Java class files.

    These performance improvements come about by delaying creation of
the actor instances until the actor is actually dropped on the canvas.
The actor library tree contains actor names and LSIDs that are used to
instantiate the actor when it is dropped. (This change in drop behavior
is in the EditorDropTarget class and the GetMomlFromLSID class.)

    In any case, note that you will probably need to rebuild your cache
(i.e. delete the .kepler directory) to get Kepler working again.

    I know of one problem created by these changes. (Bringing up
documentation for an actor by right clicking on it in the tree does not
yet work.) There may well be other problems. Let me know if you find them!

Dan Higgins

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195