[kepler-dev] Problems with PortParameters in RunCompositeActor

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Sat Sep 23 15:11:46 PDT 2006

Hi all,

    I have run into some problems trying to use PortParameters inside a
RunComposite actor. There are 2 attached Ptolemy workflows that
illustrate the problem.
    Each workflow creates a simple sequence of 2 tokens. The test1.xml
workflow sends these tokens to a Composite actor that just prints the
token values using a Display actor. The composite uses a PortParameter.
This workflow runs as expected, displaying the 2 token values.

    The same actors are used in the test.xml example except that the
Composite is replaced by a RunCompositeActor HOC actor. In this case,
however, only the last of the two tokens gets printed! Why is only the
last token displayed? I thought the RunComposite should execute its
contained workflow for each set of inputs passed to the contained
PortParameters. (At least that is what I hoped since I wanted to be able
to run a workflow multiple times for some set of varied input
parameters.) It looks like the workflow inside the RunComposite actor is
getting executed only once; i.e. the PortParameter may be set twice
before the internal workflow is executed.

    Any thoughts on what is going on? Am I misunderstanding what should
be happening?

Dan Higgins
NCEAS