[kepler-dev] Threading in kepler

Tristan King tristan.king at jcu.edu.au
Tue Sep 12 22:49:53 PDT 2006

hi guys,

basically i'm looking for a bit of an explaination on how threading
works in kepler, and any ideas to what i might be able to do to solve
the below problem.

I'm running into a problem where my kepler workflow isn't able to
keep up with the data being created from processing (thus my data
queue is getting full and dying).

My workflow consists of a source which polls a data queue for new
data and when new data arrives, sends that data (an xml parcel) to
the rest of the workflow.

Each data processing pipeline in the workflow is independent on the
progress of the other pipelines, thus new threads could be started to
preform the processing task.

However, it seems to me that each Actor in the workflow only runs a
single thread for each actor. (i'm using the PN Director).

Is there a way i can spawn a new thread to preform a particular
pipeline, while leaing my data source in a single thread producing data?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
--Tristan