[kepler-dev] Export to KAR

Norbert Podhorszki pnorbert at cs.ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 5 10:51:36 PDT 2006

Hello Chad,

Thank you for bringing export/import back to Kepler. I have already
created two actors and then workflows using them. And have some comments
about it.

1. There is a difference between Java actors and workflow actors. When a
workflow actor is instantiated, it is practically copied into the
workflow. Thus, at save, the workflow code contains the actor's code.
That is, if I re-create the actor, this has no effect on the saved
workflow. Which is of course not this way for Java class based actors.
Is this intentional, or it just works this way?

In contrast, there are several hand-made workflow actors (see the
src/org/resurgence/moml directory for workflows and then src/actors for
the actor definitions). The test workflows show that only a reference to
the actor is saved within the test workflow (see
workflows/test/resurgence/moml).

I gave up trying to follow the hand-made way when my actors threw lots of
ptolemy type check errors before starting the workflow... So the export
menu brought me relief.

2. I tried to trick the exprot by creating a workflow class from a
workflow and then export it. Surprisingly, the exported xml is nearly
empty. It contains only the enclosing stuff but not a single entity.

3. The final actors of mine are created with the following procedure:
- export workflow to kar
- unzip kar
- edit the xml file, defining SemanticTypes so that the actor appears in
   the actor tree where I want.
- jar into a new kar
- put the new kar into kepler/kar/actors    (instead of import)
No question here, just documented my practice. If you find this ugly, or
know a better way, just tell me.

Norbert

--

      Norbert Podhorszki