[kepler-dev] FindBugs: A static analyzer that finds bugs in Java Class files

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri May 19 14:13:39 PDT 2006

FindBugs is a static analyzer that looks for potential bugs.

FindBugs can be found at
http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/manual/anttask.html

FindBugs can be very pedantic, not all the problems that it
points are always relevant.  However, it is a good tool.
It can easily be run from within Eclipse from the command line
or from within Ant.

I set up the nightly build to run FindBugs on the Ptolemy tree,
the results are at:
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal/nightly/findbugs.htm
There is a link off the nightly build pages that goes to the
above URL.  I'll tune up the warnings a bit.  For example,
I don't really care that our classes are not serializable.

I also ran FindBugs on the Kepler tree.  This is not part of
the nighly build, I was just curious.  The results are at:
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cxh/tmp2/kepler-findbugs.htm

I'll check in my changes to build.xml momentarily.