[kepler-dev] Documentation display in Kepler

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Mar 14 14:26:20 PST 2006

Hi All,

    In adding documentation to the RExpression actor, I discoved a
problem with the documentation display in Kepler (and perhaps in
Ptolemy, also).

Consider one parameter defined in the RExpression actor -

   /**
    * The height of the output graphics bitmap in pixels
    */
    public StringParameter numYPixels;

But later on, this parameter is created with the statement

        numYPixels = new StringParameter(this, "Number of Y pixels in
image");

Note that the display string "Number of Y pixels in image" is not the
same as the varible name 'numYPixels'

The doclet generated xml file has the proper association between the
property and value; i.e.

<property name="numYPixels">The height of the output graphics bitmap in
pixels</property>

But when I display the doc xml in Kepler using 'Get Documentation' the
result is

"Number of Y pixels in image - No description"

The code to display the xml file replaces the 'numYPixels' name with its
display string 'Number of Y pixels in image' but it then loses the
value! This seems to happen whenever the parameter name is different
than the display string; when they agree, the descriptions are shown
properly.

Dan

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195