[kepler-dev] The 'poor man's Kepler Repository'

Shawn Bowers sbowers at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 2 11:26:07 PST 2006

Dan Higgins wrote:
 > Hi All,
 >     In yesterday's conferece call we spent some time discussing a
Kepler
 > repository. Well, it turns out that you can share workflows using the
 > current system and a simple web html server. To see an example:
 >
 > 1)open Kepler
 >
 > 2) go to the menu 'File/Open URL..."
 >
 > 3) enter the url "http://nceas.ucsb.edu/~higgins/R_in_Kepler.html"
 >    Kepler will display the R_in_Kepler web page. (Actually it will
 > display most web pages; it is a simple web browser)
 >
 > 4) Click one of the links. The remote workflow will be opened.
 >
 > 5) You can then run the workflow (all these quick examples require R to
 > be installed). Or you can select an actor (one of the R actors) and
 > "Create KAR from actor..." to add it to the local machine (or save the
 > workflow)).

Thanks Dan -- I think this is great.

What would be cool is if we could get it to recognized kepler archive
files (.kar files), and upon selection, kepler could prompt the user
to either: (1) import the archive (i.e., load it's components into the
library; (2) open the model (if it is a model); or (3) both.

The current open url functionality allows us to open these external
models, but we can't easily store them into the library ... (only the
underlying actors).

-shawn