[kepler-dev] Configuration of workflow

Zhijie Guan guan at sdsc.edu
Mon Jun 26 19:51:46 PDT 2006

Hi Norbert,

You may like to check the GUIGen used in CIPRes workflows.
Unfortunately you cannot run cipres workflows on your machine right
now, since all of the required external software may not be present
in your environment. But I would like to share with you what the
GUIGen can do in this email.

Basically GUIGen is designed to read from a configuration XML file,
get all the parameters that need to be set, fill them into an user
interface automatically, pop up that interface to the user, let the
user set the parameters before running the program, and generate a
command block for the program that can take in command block as input
parameters. Some XML configuration files for some legacy applications
in bioinformatics research could be found in $KEPLER/configs/ptolemy/
configs/kepler/cipres/gui/. The parameter-setting dialog generated by
GUIGen is usually invoked at the first part of the fire() function in
the actor. This enables the users to set the necessary parameters for
the program that the actor represents for.

I assume if you write your own configuration file, following the
format GUIGen defined, GUIGen should be able to automatically
generate a GUI for the user to set parameters for your program. You
can set the parameter to be displayed as checkbox, combobox, or file/
directory chooser. You can also specify the default values for the
parameters in your configuration file, and control which parameter
should be visiable/editable in the GUI. You can also set the program
to run several iterations and for each iteration, a different
parameter set is  fed to the program. Some other functions are under
development for GUIGen.

I would like to treat GUIGen as the extension of the parameter
setting dialog in Kepler, specially for setting a bunch of
parameters  for legacy applications. If you like, I can get the
source code of GUIGen for you (it's open source too). Just let me
know if it is what you want.

Zhijie Guan
guan at sdsc.edu