[kepler-dev] JNI under Windows

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Jun 11 12:42:22 PDT 2006

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the feedback on the Kepler situation.

Interestingly, for Ptolemy II 5.0, I had tried compiling the
Ptolemy Matlab actor with MSVC and ended up getting somewhat
better stability, but I still saw some crashes, both with
InstallAnywhere and when running under Cygwin.

Under InstallAnywhere, if I opened up lots of models and then tried
to use the MSVC compiled Matlab interface, then I think I would
get a crash.  However, if I opened up the MSVC compiled interface
before opening up lots of models, then I would usually be able
to run the model once.  Sometimes I would get a crash on the
second run.  It would be interesting to try this with the R
actor and see what happens.  The easiest way to open up lots
of models is by using following the Ptolemy copyright link
until the "expand files" page comes up.

I've not yet seen any crashes with $PTII/jni/launcher/launcher.exe,
though I have not yet tried the run lots of models tests.

For us, the Viptos interface requires gcc, so we can't easily
go with MSVC.  Also, I'd like to be able to support JNI code
compiled with gcc if possible.  I've cleaned up the JNI ui
a little, but it is still buggy.

_Christopher

--------

    Christopher,
        Kepler does use JNI for several actors (but not for our R based
    actors!). JNI is used for the 'GARP' actors and the gdal gis actor. We
    have not had any particular problem with the JNI interface, but note
    that we are not running under cygwin for these jni-based actors.
    Instead, they were compiled under Microsoft Visual C. I didn't do the
    original programming, but I am under the impression that the original
    programmers were unable to get JNI working on Windows with cygwin/gcc,
    but that it was straightforward with the MS compiler. The main problem
    now is getting platform specific code running on Windows, Mac OS X, and
    Linux. (The new Intel-based Macs has added some complexities to the
    compilations.)

    Dan