[kepler-dev] Compiling Ptolemy with Java 1.4.2

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Jul 26 14:29:21 PDT 2006

Hi Christopher,
    Our nightly build of Kepler is failing in compiling Ptolemy. The
error message is:

    [javac]                                  ^
    [javac]
C:\work\ptII\build\src\ptolemy\data\LongMatrixToken.java:241: conver
t(ptolemy.data.Token) in ptolemy.data.LongMatrixToken cannot override
convert(pt
olemy.data.Token) in ptolemy.data.MatrixToken; attempting to use
incompatible re
turn type
    [javac] found   : ptolemy.data.LongMatrixToken
    [javac] required: ptolemy.data.MatrixToken
    [javac]     public static LongMatrixToken convert(Token token)
    [javac]                                   ^
    [javac] C:\work\ptII\build\src\ptolemy\data\LongToken.java:116:
convert(ptol
emy.data.Token) in ptolemy.data.LongToken cannot override
convert(ptolemy.data.T
oken) in ptolemy.data.ScalarToken; attempting to use incompatible return
type
    [javac] found   : ptolemy.data.LongToken
    [javac] required: ptolemy.data.ScalarToken
    [javac]     public static LongToken convert(Token token) throws
IllegalActio
nException {

Strangely enough this error occurs ONLY when compiling with Java 1.4.2.
If I use Java 1.5, Ptolemy compiles with no error messages.

Did you guys change something in the Token convert code recently, and
Are you using Java 1.5 exclusively now? It would seem better if we could
still compile with 1.4.2 (or maybe I am wrong here about the Java
versioning being a problem)

Dan

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195