[kepler-dev] PN + NondeterministicMerge bug/question

Norbert Podhorszki pnorbert at cs.ucdavis.edu
Sat Jul 22 18:54:39 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have created a small workflow to demonstrate the Switch actor. A Ramp
produces numbers 1..10, an Expression produces 0..2 (input mod 3), and the
Switch has three channels, each with just one Expression to produce a
String. Finally, the three branches are brough together with
NondeterministicMerge and the strings are displayed.

So there I expect 10 strings as output, which is mostly the case if I run
it. However, sometimes - quite frequently - less strings are displayed
(tokens somewhere are lost) when the workflow stops.

The workflow works nicely if I do one of the followings:
  - replace NondeterministicActor for Select
  - put a Sleep with 1ms to slow down the execution

So it seems to me that PN senses termination condition wrongly in the
original case. Or what else?

I attach the workflow, already with the Sleep, so it works as expected.
If you delete the Sleep actor (or even just set to 0) and run it a couple
of times, you will see shorter outputs occasionally.

I would like to understand what is happening and why (except if it is a
bug).
Thanks in advance for explanation.
Norbert

      Norbert Podhorszki