[kepler-dev] Looping a process in kepler

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 21 14:11:17 PDT 2006

Hi Siva,
Sorry for the delay, but I can tell I'm just not going to be able
to give as full an answer as I would like, but here is what I know.

Siva writes:
> Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 22:02:56 -0400
>
> Hi Christopher
>
> Your email arrived just in time when I was contemplating to send another
> email to the group but was feeling burdened with the thought of expressing
> it.
> Prof. Edward lee sent me a reference file and info regarding the nature of
> SDF domains and looping.
> As you mention that DDF domains are capable of handling the looping concept
> better, I do not think it is available in kepler. I am using kepler.
> What is the best way to loop a process in kepler?

Probably the easiest thing would be to get the DDF domain working and
use it in Kepler.

> I found a loop-based workflow in ptolemy and created the same workflow in
> kepler using a PN director.
> http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII5.0/ptII5.0/ptolemy/domains/ddf/
>     demo/Loop/Loop.htm
> I do not want to use a PN director.
>
> Can you help me with a sample workflow such as the following?
>
> The workflow consists of a filereader that reads a file. If the contents of
> file contains a string "xyz" then I need to keep reading the file until its
> contents does not contain "xyz".  let us suppose that this file keeps
> changing behind the scene. how to incorporate the looping process?

Perhaps you could do this by creating an SDF composite actor that
would read the file, call Sleep and then loop?  You could try the
period and synchronizeToRealtime parameters of SDFDirector.

I think someone was asking about looping and reading a file on the
Kepler-dev list, you could check the archive.  Me, I would probably
write an actor that was based on LineReader that would loop and read
data from a file until the data changed.

> How can I import the DDF director into kepler?
I'm not sure.  You could look at how PNDirector is imported.

_Chris