[kepler-dev] Nondeterministic merge in PN domain

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 20 07:50:48 PDT 2006

Hi Bertram,

The Case demo can be found at
$PTII/ptolemy/actor/lib/hoc/demo/Case/Case.xml
in the CVS tree.

There is a link from the What's New page on the Ptolemy splash.

_Christopher

--------

    >>> On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:06:53 -0700
    >>> "Edward A. Lee" <eal at eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
    EAL>
    EAL> BooleanSelect reads from one of two input ports depending
    EAL> on the value of the control input token.  Thus, it is not
    EAL> an SDF actor, since the number of tokens it consumes on each
    EAL> input port is not fixed.
    EAL>
    EAL> The Case actor is a composite actor.  If what you want is a
    EAL> simple if-then-else, then the Case actor can do this and still
    EAL> be SDF.  The way it works is that it has two refinements instead
    EAL> of the usual one for a composite actor (actually, it can have any
    EAL> number), and it simply invokes one or the other depending on
    EAL> the control token.  If both refinements are SDF, then the overall
    EAL> model is still SDF.

    interesting, interesting.. does one of the Ptolemy demos make use of
    the Case actor? (I guess I could do a grep on the corresponding moml
    files.. )

    Bertram

    EAL> Edward
    EAL>
    EAL> At 08:29 AM 7/15/2006, Bertram Ludaescher wrote:
    EAL>
    >> Hi everybody -- too bad we don't have Xiaowen listening in; not sure
    >> why she didn't use the BooleanSelect or Case.
    >>
    >> Edward:
    >> Since we had recently discussions here about BooleanSelect and SDF,
    >> can you explain (or provide a pointer) why SDF might have problems
    >> with BooleanSelect, but apparently not with Case?
    >>
    >> thanks, cheers
    >>
    >> Bertram

    EAL> Looking at the model, it looks like there is no need for
    >> NondeterministicMerge
    EAL> in any form... A simple BoleanSelect actor would work just fine...
    EAL> Even cleaner would be to use the Case actor, in which case
    >> everything could
    EAL> be SDF, I think...
    EAL>
    EAL> Edward

    >> <https://www-casc.llnl.gov/sdm/download.php>https://www-casc.llnl.gov/sd