[kepler-dev] Additional menu items

Laura L. Downey ldowney at lternet.edu
Tue Jan 24 08:40:53 PST 2006

Sorry been out of town so just seeing this.  I will leave the coding
discussion of re-use and taking advantage of new Ptolemy functionality when
implemented and vice versa from the Kepler perspective, to the architects
and developers.

Specifically to the two menu items that might have been mistakenly removed
in the proposed re-design -- yes, from a design perspective, we can easily
add them back.  And it sounds like with Matthew's implementation, that is
not a major coding issue.

While in general, I think it is a good idea to stay away from computer
science centric terms (such as "Instantiate") because we have a combination
of user groups that will use Kepler (both scientists and programmers), I
don't see the domain scientists or informatics scientists type of Kepler
users really using these items.  They are designed for people with coding
knowledge that will be creating and testing new actors and directors -- so
in that respect it would be programmers using Kepler that would most likely
use the items of Instantiate Entity and Instantiate Attribute.

For the moment, I'll suggest we add these two items to the proposed Tools
menu.  And I would like to also suggest we change "Instantiate Entity" to
"Instantiate Component" since we are calling actors and directors workflow
components in Kepler.

Laura L. Downey
Senior Usability Engineer
LTER Network Office