[kepler-dev] semantics

Deana Pennington dpennington at lternet.edu
Thu Jan 19 10:58:27 PST 2006

Vision:
-distributed resources
-distributed scientists

obviously, Kepler could be used for applications outside of science, but
since we're all focused on SCIENTIFIC workflows is seems reasonable to
me to focus on scientific resources.  It's not limited to
eco/environmental kinds of applications, as clearly demonstrated by a
domain specific actor library that includes genetics and chemistry.

I need a word to put in the following sentence:
"And because Kepler is based on state of the art grid technologies (see
Appendices, Section 5.2), data and analytical processes from other
scientists can be exposed and utilized within Kepler.  This is done via
the XXXGrid, which is basically a set of geographically distributed data
repositories, computing resources, and (eventually) workflow libraries."

I can substitute "distributed computing technologies" for grid in the
first line, but Kepler will be accessing a specific set of distributed
resources (those that the authentication system can handle) and I need a
term for that set of resources.

My [incomplete] ontology of the distributed resources, where some other
term can be substituted for grid if we can find a better term, and there
already exist many other specific grids that could be inserted into this:

ScienceGrid
   BiosphereGrid
      EcoGrid
      GeoGrid
      OceanGrid
      HydroGrid
      AtmGrid
      others
   BiologicGrid
      BiochemGrid
      GenGrid
      MolecularBioGrid
   XXXScience
      PhysicsGrid

Distributed resources can be allocated at different scales in the
hierarchy.  EcoGrid would only apply to those resources that are domain
specific to ecology.  BiosphereGrid would include the resources across
disciplines within that set (e.g. all of the environmental observatory
data taken together).  ScienceGrid would include all the generic
resources, like some data mining algorithm that could be used by any of
the domains.  What I want is a term for ScienceGrid at the top of the
hierarchy.

Hopefully this helps define the vision, or at least will generate
additional discussion.

Deana

Mladen Vouk wrote:

> Good point. What is the vision?
> Thanks
> Mladen
>
> Shawn Bowers wrote:
>
>>I think that a problem here is that there isn't really a shared
>>vision for what this thing you're trying to name will actually
>>be when it grows up ...
>>
>>-shawn
>>

>>Deana Pennington wrote:
>>

>>>I'm working on the Getting Started with Kepler document that Sam and
>>>Laura started.  I'm trying to make it more generic, less specific to
>>>ecology since other sciences are now heavily represented as well.  I
>>>think it's time to settle on a generic term for the Grid being accessed
>>>from within Kepler, subsets of which can always use more specific terms
>>>(e.g. EcoGrid).  My suggestion would be to go with something simple like
>>>Science Grid, or SciGrid.  Thoughts?  Are there other terms that we need
>>>to resolve before the documentation effort gets going in full force?
>>>
>>>Deana

********

Deana D. Pennington, PhD
Long-term Ecological Research Network Office

UNM Biology Department
MSC03  2020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001