[kepler-dev] Icons in the *DataSource actors

Laura L. Downey ldowney at lternet.edu
Mon Jan 9 13:57:00 PST 2006

Ah okay, now I understand what you meant about the states changing.  I
haven't seen the "error" condition so don't know what that looks like.  But
my natural assumption would have been red would indicate an error condition
and currently red just indicates "getting data but not done."

The easiest and quickest solution might be to just "blink" the data source
icon (the manilla folder) until the data was downloaded then it becomes
solid and non-blinking upon completion of data downloading.  And if an error
occurred we could superimpose an X or some other simple sign on top of a
non-blinking data source -- I wouldn't want to obscure the label though so
the user could still see what the name of the data set/file was they were
unsuccessful at retrieving.

This solution could work in either option of the current design where data
is downloaded when it is dragged from the left pane or if we go with the
option of data not downloading until the workflow executes, the same
blinking could apply.  The highlighting of which actor the workflow is
currently executing could still be shown with the blinking orange highlight.
In the case of the datasource and the highlight both blinking they would
just need to be in sync so as not to create some crazy alternate blinking
that would bother people.

Laura L. Downey
Senior Usability Engineer
LTER Network Office