[kepler-dev] Documentation updates

Kevin Ruland kruland at ku.edu
Thu Jan 5 17:57:37 PST 2006

Edward,

I think I'm understanding.  It might be best for Matt to clarify for me
as well.  I'm just going to think on line.

There are two different things which need to be distinguished.  An
Actor's prototype definition, and an instance of an actor.  The
prototype actor is the one as distributed with the system - with the
default documentation, parameter settings, etc.  When the user drags
this actor into the workspace, he is making an instance of the actor.
This instance begins its life with default parameter settings, port
annotations, name, etc.  When the user then changes the parameters and
saves, the changes to the parameters are captured in the workspace moml
file, correct?  It does not change the default parameters assigned to
the next instance of the actor.

Along these lines, I'm thinking that all the mutable information about
an instance of an actor needs to be collected together.  So the
documentation, port annotations, text label, etc all should be stored
similarly.

I was thinking originally only of the main class level documentation -
that is, a general description of the transformation performed by the
little box, description of input constraints etc.  This would be more
like the class level documentation but not as low level as javadoc which
would probably be less useful and more confusing to some.  This
documentation should not be allowed to change.

However, the way a particular actor is used in a workflow could benefit
from additional documentation.  This documentation could capture what
specific function the actor provides in the greater context of the
problem being solved.  I believe that Dan in the past has use some text
annotations for this.

I think I've only looked at the two extremes:  Default actor ....
instance of actor in workflow.  I have not considered the case of making
a specific actor which is intended to be reused.   Chad has already come
up with a scheme which allows the user to take an instance of an actor
(with parameter changes, and presumably docuementation changes) and drag
it back into the actor tree.  This action would allow the user to use
this actor instance as a prototype for future workflows.  I don't know
how this action is accomplished, or if it is currently functionaly, but
the prototype created would then be "read-only" in the same sense as the
original it was based on.

Kevin