[kepler-dev] Attention, All Workflow Creators

Matthew Brooke brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Feb 23 18:05:18 PST 2006

Further to my previous email (see copy below), I've fixed the code so
svg icon paths will no longer be immortalized in the moml. However,
you'll still need to remove the existing markup from your own
locally-saved moml files if you have any.

So, instead of replacing the path as i said in the previous email,
please delete the relevant properties altogether, as follows:

The specific text to remove from moml/xml files is of the form:

<property name="_svgIcon" class="some.class.name.Here">
   <configure>/svg/IconNameHere.svg</configure>
</property>
<property name="_thumbnailRasterIcon" class="some.class.name.Here">
   <configure>/actorthumbs/IconNameHere-sm.gif</configure>
</property>

NOTE - don't just cut and paste the above text - you need to replace
"some.class.name.Here" and "IconNameHere" with the real values :-)

cheers

Matthew Brooke wrote:
> One thing everyone should know, now that new icons have been turned on -
> if you have local copies of workflows you created in kepler, but which
> are not in CVS yet, these may show up with empty boxes instead of the
> new icons.
>
> This is a known problem, and is easily fixed by doing a global search
> and replace inside any such workflow XML/MOML files, replacing all
> occurrences of:
>
> ../kepler-docs/dev/usability/graphics/svg
>
> with:
>
> /svg
>
> All the workflows that are in cvs have already been updated, AFAIK
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience

> Laura L. Downey wrote:
>> Dear Keplerites,
>>

>> Thanks to Matthew and Tim, the new svg icon files have been slimmed down
>> so we are ready to “turn them on” and will be doing so in the next
>> build.   I have made a first pass at assigning the new icons to all the
>> current actors in Kepler.  However, I’m sure I got some of them wrong so
>> need your help.  Those of you working with specific workflows or
>> creating actors will know them better than I do.
>>

>> So in the next build, please take a look at the new icons in the
>> workflows or actors you work with and let me know if we need to make
>> adjustments with a different symbol assignment and/or whether something
>> is atomic or composite.   I’m happy to make the adjustments to the
>> properties file just let me know which ones to make.  There is a
>> catch-all symbol for things that don’t fit.
>>

>> The new symbols can be viewed on the wiki at:
>>

>> http://kepler-project.org/Wiki.jsp?page=VisualReDesign
>>

>> Scroll down to the next to last section titled Symbology.  There are
>> three families of icons:  display, model, and stand-alone.
>>

>> The display category contains:
>>
>> Text
>>
>> Browser
>>
>> Graph
>>
>> Image
>>
>> Table
>>

>> The model family contains:
>>
>> Statistical
>>
>> Mathematical
>>
>> Mechanistic
>>
>> Probabilistic
>>
>> Cellular automata
>>
>> Logic based
>>
>> Rule based
>>
>> Individual based
>>

>> The stand-alone symbols include:
>>
>> Command line
>>
>> General (this is the catch all symbol)
>>
>> Database Query
>>
>> Equation
>>
>> Expression
>>
>> File Operation
>>
>> Filter
>>
>> Integral
>>
>> R program
>>
>> Signal Processing
>>
>> Spatial Processing
>>
>> Statistics
>>
>> Summation
>>
>> Transformation
>>

>> [As a side note, in doing this initial assignment, I discovered we may
> [...]

Matthew Brooke, Ph.D.
Marine Sciences Research Building, Room #3407
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106-6150
ph: (805) 893-7108   fx: 805-893-8062
brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu