[kepler-dev] Documentation of demo workflows for Kepler Alpha 9 release

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 21 16:34:01 PST 2006

Matthew,
    Some good points.
    I have really been more concerned with being able to link the
documentation to the workflow so a user can get to it from the workflow.
I thought that Edward's new documentation capabilities for PT handled
this (somehow) and took care of some of the technical details you
mentioned (i.e. allowing easy editing for maintainance, etc.), but I am
unsure of just how his new stuff works.

Dan

---

Matthew Brooke wrote:

> [...]
> don't read "XMLish"
>
> 3) We wouldn't have to mess with the MOML schema, which doesn't
> currently allow for adding documentation, if my understanding is correct.
>
> From a high level design/architecture point-of-view, the moml just
> seems like the wrong place for this stuff - or am i missing something
> obvious?

> Dan Higgins wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>     I really do think full documentation should be available from the
>> workflow itself. It need not all appear all the time. Edward had an
>> example where more information could be displayed as desired. Also,
>> see workflows/eco/compositeBiodiversityExample.xml which has a
>> 'DocumentationAttribute' ("Double click to see documentation"). In
>> this example an HTML file with the equations can be displayed
>> directly from the workflow.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> ----
>>
>> Laura L. Downey wrote:
>>
>>> I'm coming in a little late to this.  I agree Zhijie that we don't
>>> want to
>>> put full documentation in as notes or annotations on the workflow
>>> itself as
>>> displayed on the canvas, but only essential or summary type
>>> information.
>>>
>>> And I also agree that it would be nice to have a workflow documentation
>>> template too.  I had put a very simple thing together for the
>>> samples we
>>> want to document for Release 1.0 and it looks like this, I can't
>>> display it
>>> in table format since this is plain text email:
>>>
>>> Sample Workflow - name of workflow
>>>
>>> Name
>>> GARP Workflow
>>>
>>> Filename
>>> /kepler/workflows/eco/???????.xml
>>>
>>> Detailed Description
>>> Paragraph of stuff with pertinent details that give more information
>>> than
>>> the brief description, describes the general inputs and pieces and what
>>> output can be expected etc.
>>>
>>> Assumptions
>>> Describe any assumptions the model is based on
>>>
>>> Director
>>> Which director is used and why if any explanation is needed
>>>
>>> Data
>>> List of data files used
>>>
>>> Actors
>>> List of actors used in the workflow
>>>
>>> Parameters
>>> List of parameters used in the workflow, may include workflow,
>>> director,
>>> actor or port parameters
>>>
>>> <insert graphic here of workflow as displayed in Kepler - should we
>>> show
>>> before or after execution?>
>>>
>>> Provide here any discussion about substituting different data or
>>> different
>>> processing components and any discussion about assumptions if
>>> needed, and/or
>>> about setting or configuring any parameters etc.

>>> 505.610.9657 mobile

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu