[kepler-dev] Splash screen and corresponding changes

Kevin Ruland kruland at ku.edu
Tue Feb 14 17:52:16 PST 2006

I've certainly seen many poorly written ui's with redraw bugs.  Without
the source code, we can only rely on the documentation.   It is rather
unfortunate that Sun recommends creating the entire UI in the event
handler thread (note the big red footnote in
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/misc/threads.html)  Such
a requirement completely eliminates the possibility of doing things like
a splash screen.  I do hope that they cleaned this up for Mustang since
they are releasing splash code in that release.

BTW - after I removed invokeLater completely from
VergilApplication.main() the application rendered all three initial
windows (splash, empty graph tableau, and welcome html) flawlessly.
Perhaps the issues you've had were with previous releases of awt/swing.

Kevin