[kepler-dev] Splash screen and corresponding changes

Matthew Brooke brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Feb 13 15:29:00 PST 2006

 > then when the vergil window comes up, the little menu box
 > comes up but it's really small with scroll bars.

By "little menu box", do you mean the Welcome Screen? If so, I see the
same behavior on OS X (too small with scrollbars). I just figured that
was the first pass, and someone hadn't fixed it yet.

Chad Berkley wrote:
> Hey kevin and christopher,
>
> I'm not sure if you've tried this on linux, but I'm basically seeing
> just a white box as the splash screen.  then when the vergil window
> comes up, the little menu box comes up but it's really small with scroll
> bars.  I'm not sure if this is what you're seeing on windows as well,
> but i thought i'd let you know.
>
> chad
>
> Kevin Ruland wrote:
>> As a follow up, the second experiment of putting selected lines from
>> _createEmptyConfiguration() into invokeLater() calls also helped out
>> greatly.  I cannot inherit the VergilApplication and reimplement the
>> _createEmptyConfiguration( ) method because of some critical private
>> data members (configuration for one).
>>
>> After a few more hours of hacking we'll probably end up with all the
>> splash functionality in VergilApplication itself.  This does have at
>> least one added benefit because VergilApplication will know exactly when
>> to bring the splash down so there will be no need for a timer.  I don't
>> feel completely comfortable with the work I'm doing now because I don't
>> really understand the deeper Ptolemy/Vergil issues and don't have access
>> to all the test cases.  Christopher, if you can, I'd like to leave this
>> in your court to finish.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>>> The first experiment (removing the invokeLater from main()) was
>>> promising.  Now to coerce VergilApplication._createEmptyConfiguration()
>>> to use invokeLater().

Matthew Brooke, Ph.D.
Marine Sciences Research Building, Room #3407
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106-6150
ph: (805) 893-7108   fx: 805-893-8062
brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu