[kepler-dev] Splash screen and corresponding changes

Kevin Ruland kruland at ku.edu
Mon Feb 13 07:45:37 PST 2006

Hi all.

The only way for me to get the splash screen to work correctly was to
build our own main loop which builds the splash screen prior to running
VergilApplication.main.  I think the reason for this is
VergilApplication runs everything using Swing.invokeLater which seems to
do something weird with the thread priorities and ends up making the
splash behave very badly.  So I created the
org.kepler.gui.KeplerApplication so do just that.

I'm writing this note to inform people that if they are running under
eclipse and want to see the splash screen (It doesn't really do anything
so you're not missing out), you will need to change your main from
VergilApplication to KeplerApplication.  I have made the corresponding
changes to build.xml's various targets which used to use VergilApplication.

One thing to think about in the future, since we need to have our own
main for this purpose, this provides us with a place to do a little more
with command line arguments.  For example, we could hard code the
'-kepler' argument into our main when envoking VergilApplication.  Also
we can combine the VergilApplication and PtExecuteApplication startups
and provide another switch to run "head-less" or "batch" mode.  What I
mean is we could interpret an argument like "-batch" as an indication to
run PtExecuteApplication instead of VergilApplication.

I was able to test the auto_kepler.bat and ptexecute.bat files here, but
for some reason auto_kepler.sh doesn't seem to work under cygwin.  Can
somebody please check that script?

Kevin