[kepler-dev] Tips for adding new actors

Zhijie Guan guan at sdsc.edu
Wed Feb 8 18:01:09 PST 2006

FYI, the following are some tips I got when I tried to add actors
into Kepler. I would like to share them with you since I don't think
these steps are on our website.

1. When adding a new actor, the developer needs to create a new
directory with (usually) the actor's name in $KEPLER/src/actors. The
new directory should contain two files: one is YourNewActorName.xml,
the other is MANIFEST.MF. The developer needs to give two ids for the
new actor in these two files. The last known ids of all the actors/
kars are recorded in $KEPLER/src/actors/README. Remember to use the
next available ids for your actor and update the README file.

2. When you want to add a new sub-directory in the actor library, you
should edit the file $KEPLER/configs/ptolemy/connfigs/kepler/
ontologies/keplerActorOntology.owl. I remember originally we should
edit the file ontology.owl. But now it does not work in that way
anymore.

3. The MANIFEST.MF file for the actor seems a little bit picky. For
example, if I write "type: actorMetadata " (a blank space followed
the actorMetadata) in my MANIFEST.MF file, it won't work. But Kepler
won't report any error message. It took me one hour to figure this out.

Hope these helpful!

Zhijie