[kepler-dev] DataSource Icon troubles

Laura L. Downey ldowney at lternet.edu
Fri Feb 3 07:58:51 PST 2006

See my other response to Kevin.  If we start to differentiate too much, then
we get way too many symbols.  Again, we are trying to find a balance here
and just laying a baseline.  And workflow creators will have the option to
add their own symbols if they feel strongly about using something different.
At that point because we are offering this flexibility we won't be able to
control consistency like we might want to.  The goal here is to offer a
general set of symbols that are easily recognizable and or learnable as a
baseline.  I suspect most users won't vary from the general symbols but will
add more specialized symbols to their domains or ones in which they feel
don't fit into the general categories offered.

Laura L. Downey
Senior Usability Engineer
LTER Network Office
Department of Biology, MSC03 2020