[kepler-dev] New Kepler Menus

Matthew Brooke brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Feb 1 08:41:06 PST 2006

Laura L. Downey wrote:
 > I'm proposing to make that the default
 > (checked) option so that running with feedback is the default.

There is a potential drawback to enabling the feedback by default: the
"Run with feedback" option has a user-editable "delay time", needed to
make the animation visible, or at least slow enough to follow by eye.

Therefore, we would have to create a default value for the delay, which
would, in turn, slow down the execution of all workflows. Probably not
an issue with some of the simpler example WFs, but may be a problem with
bigger/more intensive WFs, especially if users don't realize this is the
case.

Laura L. Downey wrote:
> Matthew has already commented on the toggling issue so there is a way to
> turn on/off the highlighting during workflow execution.
>
> In terms of the phraseology, I kept "Run" in the "Run with Feedback" item to
> keep all the "run" items associated.  We have Run and Run Window and users
> in some of the early testing really liked the "animation" where they could
> see which actor was executing so I'm proposing to make that the default
> (checked) option so that running with feedback is the default.  Because I
> wanted to keep the "Run" association, I suggested Run with Feedback because
> Run with Animation just didn't sound right to me.
>
> We can certainly adjust the phraseology if it proves to be problematic.
> Although I suspect that if someone turns it off and sees they don't get the
> highlighting during execution they will easily understand what Run with
> Feedback means.  The use of the term feedback may be a bit human factors
> centric on my part since that is so often used in my field to mean
> communicating with the user -- giving them appropriate visual and textual
> feedback etc. And of course feedback does mean different things in different
> contexts, just as Edward pointed out from his perspective.  But feedback is
> also a very general term that just means give me some indication on what is
> happening.
>
> Laura L. Downey
> Senior Usability Engineer
> LTER Network Office
> Department of Biology, MSC03 2020
> 1 University of New Mexico
> Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001
> 505.277.3157 office
> 505.610.9657 mobile
> 505.277-2541 fax
> ldowney at lternet.edu

Matthew Brooke, Ph.D.
Marine Sciences Research Building, Room #3407
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106-6150
ph: (805) 893-7108   fx: 805-893-8062
brooke at nceas.ucsb.edu