[kepler-dev] GIS i/o

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Apr 28 10:56:54 PDT 2006

Kepler has a nice collection of actors that can manipulate spatial data,
including for example GDAL's warp and project, convex hull operations,
and various point in polygon and similar query operators.  We've wrapped
some of the GRASS library functions as GIS actors in Kepler too, and we
have access to R in Kepler which has a whole suite of geospatial
functions.

That said, we haven't done what you asked for, which is to provide a
link to a specific GIS system where we can manipulate that system (like
create new layers). As GIS systems are somewhat proprietary, it would
probably be best to provide data read/write actors for the OGC services,
and maybe an interface to a backend spatial data system like PostGIS.
Then the GIS system and kepler could both access the same spatial data
stores via OGC or other standard interfaces.

If you do something in this area it would be of great interest to us on
SEEK and Kepler.

Matt